Mold is a significant health threat. It can be found in damp, poorly ventilated areas of the home including the basement and the bathroom. Here is some basic information about mold and how to reduce it:
What is mold?
Mold is a fungus that grows in warm, humid areas both indoors and outdoors. Mold reproduces through spores that hang in the air. These spores can survive dry conditions, but in order to grow, they need dampness. It’s important to keep dark areas of the home dry in order to prevent these spores from forming mold.
What are the health hazards of mold?
Mold can cause certain health conditions including allergies, and upper and lower respiratory infections. Here are the most common health risks from mold:
Some people are sensitive to mold spores. Exposure to large amount of mold and spores trigger allergic reactions. Common symptoms of mold allergy are:
• Red, watery, and itchy eyes
• Runny nose
Mold can also cause fungal infections, even in otherwise healthy adults. Common symptoms of mold infection are:
• Chest pain
• Difficulty breathing
• Coughing up blood
How do you reduce mold?
Due to the health risks that mold carries, it is extremely important to take steps to reduce mold growth. Mold tends to grow in areas of your home like the basement and bathroom. Here are tips to reduce mold growth:
• Run exhaust fans every time you shower or cook.
• Clean your bathrooms and basement frequently with a bleach based cleaner.
• Use a dehumidifier in your basement and bathrooms, especially during the summer months.
• Clean water or liquid spills quickly.
• Wipe condensation from walls and windows.
• Use an air conditioner or open windows to keep air flowing.
• If your basement has carpet, replace it with hard flooring.
• Empty all drip pans in your home regularly. Don’t forget the dehumidifier, air conditioning, and refrigerator drip pans.
• Clean out your basement. Get rid of old paper, bedding, clothes, and upholstered furniture.
• Clean or replace air filters at least once a month. Make sure the filters you have are rated to trap mold.
• Vacuum at least once a week to prevent mold spores from embedding in carpet.
• Use a mold resistant shower curtain and liner.
These are the best ways to reduce mold growth in your home. Mold is serious and can cause health issues. It’s vital to keep mold under control. For fast and effective mold removal and remediation, call Preventive Pest Control.