Bed Bug Bites Hospitalize a Man
Bed bugs are not just your average night crawlers since they mainly use us as their source of food. We are actually their food as they suck our blood while we sleep. Bed bug infestations can be a real nightmare for some especially if these bugs are the cause of your health to deteriorate.
Take an example of a man who was hospitalize because of bed bug bites. Robert Malcolm who stayed in a motel and suffered from continuous bed bugs bite that led him to his numerous scars and created more stress to his already weakened heart. Eventually, the situation landed him in the hospital.
Travellers Beware what you bring home
While stories such as this, are not telltales and they really do exist, getting safe while you travel should be a top priority. It is not paranoia that you want to become more conscious when you travel. Keep in mind that bed bugs are known travellers. They do not fly, but they can move quickly over floors, walls, and ceilings. They can easily enter homes undetected through luggage, clothing, used beds and couches, and the like.
How to avoid and prevent bed bugs on vacation
- If your plans of travel include a hotel stay make certain that you check for complaints from previous guests in their hotel registries.
- Search for patterns in complaints such as date of complaints, actual bed bugs and reported bed bug bites
- Check for bed bugs at your selected hotel
- Check them in your room
- Use a good flashlight to check these pests around the bed area
- Do not put your luggage on the bed until the inspection is complete
- Check around the bed, nightstand, headboard, and bed skirt, underneath and behind the night stand
- Search for them at the piping around the mattress
- Look for live insects, shed bed bug skins and peppery fecal spots that are found in areas where bed bugs live
- Search for them in furniture cracks and crevices and folds of linens and bed skirts
If bed bugs are found, do not move your clothes into dresser drawers since this will increase the chance of having your clothes infested
Once you return from your trip, keep your suitcase in a garage and unload your clothes directly into the clothes dryer for a precautionary treatment. All stages of bed bugs can be killed by letting it be heated for twenty minutes in the dryer. The heat of a clothes dryer is known to be effective at killing these bugs. If clothes are wet when placed in the dryer, the 20 minutes of heat time will begin after the clothes are dry. If possible, add 20 more minutes of heat time on your clothes even after they are dry.
Accidentally brought bed bugs home? Contact Horizon Pest Control now! Visit New Jersey Bed Bugs to schedule a FREE appointment.