Pests are like your family members inside your home or your life: they are annoying but sometimes it’s hard to get rid of them. Worst, they can stay for good and can spread in other parts of your home like the garden, for example. If you don’t take charge and get rid of them, they will only multiply and bring all sorts of sickness to your family members and also damage to your property. Prevention is still the best solution versus damage control when the problem is already there.
Here are some useful pest control tips that can help you save money from the damages caused by pests inside and outside your home:
- Cleanliness is next to godliness, so they say and you must take this mantra very seriously. Pests thrive in unclean environment and just like bacteria, given the dirtiest and smelliest situations; they multiply faster in these types of conditions. Rats and cockroaches love food leftovers, so make cleanliness a part of your everyday life by regularly throwing your garbage and making sure that leftover food is properly sealed and stored for throwing.
- Regularly check that moist places inside the house are disinfected. Molds and mosquitoes thrive in dark, moist areas so you can easily prevent them from growing here by making sure that all places inside your house are well ventilated and kept clean and dry at all times. Remove or cover stagnant water because it’s a good breeding place for mosquitoes and that can mean all sorts of sickness like dengue, for example.
- Block entrances and crevices that can be possible entry and exit points for rodents like rats or mice. Learn to let go of very old things like newspaper, boxes, shoes and anything else that can be sold in a junkyard or garage sale. Even if you have a storage room, chances are it’s a dingy dark place of the house where most of the household pests reside.
- Identify the pests inside your home and if possible, seek advice from a pest control professional. He will be able to advise you on the best pest management approach on how to deal with these pests. He can also advise you on what products to use, whether they are safe for your kids or pets, or even the environment.
- Your garden is also a breeding place for many pests like snails, bugs, bees and other insects. Make sure that your grass is properly mowed and that no junk items like old bottles or dangerous chemicals with poison are lying around.
- If you have pets, especially dogs bathe them regularly and check for fleas. Or even better, take them to a dog grooming shop for professional service. Your pets may have ticks or fleas without your knowing and sometimes, if you are not careful ticks can stick to walls and it becomes a breeding ground for them. So make sure to check the walls or floor area where your beloved canine stays or play.
- Consider Integrated Pest Management (IPM) as a solution to your pest problems. It is safer you, your family and your pets with the added advantage of being safer for the environment. Not all pests are harmful; in fact some are actually beneficial for the environment. Take example bees, they can sting but they are also beneficial- they produce honey which is fit for human consumption. A solution for them using IPM is to relocate to another place
where they are safe from and to humans. Many pest control companies nowadays are gearing towards environment-safe products and techniques, so choose a company with good reputation for you pest control needs.
- Check pesticides with natural content because they are known to be effective but with less environmental impact. For example, pyrethrum for example
is used in many pesticide aerosols. Citronella oil for example is another effective pest repellant.
Like all other sicknesses, pest prevention is still an ounce of cure. So before your house or property is infested with pests, follow these tips. It will not only keep your home pest-free, it will also save you a lot of money and headache. Pest should never terrorize you in your own home and prevent you from enjoying the place where you should feel safest.
For affordable, effective and safe residential pest control, trust Horizon Pest Control. To protect your home or to solve your current pest problem, go to Residential Pest Control and schedule an appointment.